Monday, March 4, 2019

Monthly Wrap-Up | February 2019

I had an amazing month of reading!!  I read a total of 11 books in February, which is amazing for me!!  I also read some phenomenal books!!

Monthly Stats

Books



On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves | Anna is offered a job to tutor TJ over the summer in the Maldives. While flying there the pilot suffers a heart attack and their plane goes down. Anna and TJ make it to a deserted island where they must try and survive. After many years on the island they begin to have a connection.  I am for sure an unpopular opinion on this one. I hated this book soo much. I didn’t mind the age gap at all. But the thing that was horrible was the writing, it was atrocious. The only two people on the island and every time they spoke to each other they said each other’s name. It became very irritating and super annoying. I was bummed this didn’t work for me! Oh well you win some and you lose some!!

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black | Three sisters are taken to the Fae world after their parents are murdered.  Jude and her twin sister Taryn are humans living in the Fae world and the Fae do not like them.  The High King is ready to step down and he must choose who will become king of his six children.  Price Cardan is the youngest, he and his friends likes to make Jude's life a living hell.  This book took a bit for me to start enjoying. I thought the beginning was super info dumpy and I felt like the world wasn’t described very well, like it was hard for me imagine. But once I got past the first quarter of the book I flew through the rest of it. I loved all the action towards the end and I really liked Jude and Cardan a lot! I also thought Oak, Jude's little brother was adorable. I’m really anxious to see what happens in The Wicked King!

Kingdom of Needle and Bone by Mira Grant | Dr. Isabella Gauley's niece is the first confirmed case of Morris's disease, which is similar to measles.  This virus is spreading because of anti-vaccinators.  Morris disease is spreading very quickly and killing thousands of people.  Dr. Isabella Gauley wants to help eradicate this disease.  I found this book very fascinating and I'm very glad I read it.  I feel like this book could definitely happen in the world today because of the anti-vaccinators.  You need to vaccinate your children so the healthy children and people that are immunocompromised can't get viruses or other diseases.  But since we are in a place where people don't vaccinate their children, they are actually causing more problems because of the herd immunity, which is the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results in a sufficiently high proportion of individuals that are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.  This book definitely isn't for everyone, but I found it very fascinating and accurate since I am in the microbiology field.  

Our Year of Maybe by Rachel Lynn Solomon | Peter and Sophie have been friends since childhood.  Peter has suffered from a kidney disease since he was a child and he was put on the transplant list.  Sophie finds out she is a match and she wants to donate one of her kidney's to Peter.  After the transplant Sophie feels like her secret crush with Peter will develop into something more, but Peter meets Chase and he starts liking him.  Peter is torn between hurting Sophie and following his heart with Chase.  I really liked the character development throughout this book, the toxic friendship with Peter and Sophie was done very well.  Sophie was borderline obsessed with Peter and she didn't have any other friends besides him.  I loved the exploration of Peter figuring out that he was bisexual.  I thought Peter and Chase's relationship was adorable!  I loved that Peter was able to live his life the way he wanted to.  I also really liked the family dynamic in this book, sometimes you don't get alot of family dynamics in YA novels.  Overall, I really enjoyed this book and definitely recommend! 

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson | Princess Lia is suppose to marry the prince from a neighboring kingdom, which will secure an alliance.  She flees on the morning of her wedding to a village, where she becomes a barmaid.  When two guys arrive in the village, one being the prince she was suppose to marry and the other an assassin who was sent to kill her.  She starts falling in love with one of them and she has no idea who they really are.  There are some crazy plot twists in this book and I loved it.  After about half way through I was on the edge of seat rooting for Princess Lia all the way.  I loved the romance it was soo cute and I'm really happy with who she falls for.  I liked the adventure you go on in this book.  Overall I love Princess Lia and I can't wait to read what happens in the next book, because the cliff hanger is killing me!!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) by J.K. Rowling | Love this dang series!!

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid | Emma’s husband goes missing after a helicopter crash never to be found. A few years later she gets engaged to a guy she used to work with in high school. What would you do when your long lost husband calls to say he’s okay? Emma must figure out who she wants to be with.  This book broke me! Emma had a tough decision on who she chose in the end. I felt like I was rooting for both guys at one point! In the end I was kind of disappointed on who she chose but I think she made the best choice. This book had me sobbing! I absolutely loved this book!! I now must read everything from TJR!!

The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker | Calla finds out her father has cancer and she hasn’t had the best relationship with him. She decides to go to Alaska and get to know her him. Her father owns a bush pilot company and the day she arrives in Alaska she has to take a very small plane to the remote area to where her father lives. Jonah is the pilot that takes her there and he is a complete asshole!! But of course they end up falling for each other!!  I like the enemies to lovers troupe so with Calla and Jonah I was totally swooning over them. I loved that family was a huge part of this book. I think Calla made the best decision to get to know her father since he’s sick. I loved how it was set in Alaska it was soo fascinating and unique. The last quarter of this book I was full on sobbing! I loved everything about this book! Highly highly recommend!!

What He Doesn't Know (What He Doesn't Know #1) by Kandi Steiner | Charlie and Cameron have been married for a few years and Charlie feels very alone in her marriage.  The new teacher at the school she teaches at is Reese, which was Charlie's first crush and her best friend's brother.  They immediately have a connection.  Reese shows Charlie she can smile and be happy again.  Charlie is in a crossroads of who she wants to be with, her husband or Reese.  This book OMG was soo good I flew through it!!  I love Charlie and I felt for her soo much and what she went through, she deserves to be happy.  I definitely want her to choose Reese I feel like he made Charlie whole again.  This book was very emotional and I couldn't wait to read the next book in the series to find out who she choose!  I highly recommend this book!! 

What He Always Knew (What He Doesn't Know #2) by Kandi Steiner | This is the continuation of What He Doesn't Know.  I knew I couldn't wait very long without knowing who Charlie choose, her husband or her old crush Reese.  I freaking loved this book it was an amazing conclusion to the end of the duet.  Cameron changed soo much throughout this book and being able to find who he was and how he truly loved Charlie and how he wanted to get back to what they were was soo amazing.  So in the end I loved both Cameron and Reese and was soo anxious to see who she choose.  I was completely shocked, but in the end I think she made the best decision.  The end was soo touching and had me crying I loved it!!  

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah | Two sisters Vianne and Isabelle are in living in the brink of WWII in France.  Vianne lives in a small village and Isabelle is forced to go live with her and on her journey there she meets a man and they decide they want to make a difference in the war.  Once she makes it to Vianne's house he leaves her telling her she isn't ready.  Vianne's husband is sent off to war and her and her daughter must try and survive while the Nazis invade their town.  Isabelle joins a group where they help American and British pilots that go down make it to safety.  Vianne and Isabelle are both strong and courageous woman for what they did to survive and help other people make it through the war.  This book shows you how far you will go to protect your children.  This is seriously a masterpiece that is a must read!!  The ending had me in tears, tears of pain and tears of joy.  Kristin Hannah's writing is beautiful and atmospheric, I literally felt like I was there with Vianne and Isabelle.  This is another one of my all time favorite books!!

Well there you have it my February wrap-up!  I read some really amazing books!  Have you read any of these books, what did you think about them?  Let me know in the comments!!

Post a Comment

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.