Tuesday, April 2, 2019

TBR | April 2019

I feel like I didn't read the best of books in March, so I hope I picked out better books to read this month.  I'm not doing any ReadAThons this month, because I just want the freedom to pick from my TBR.  Here are the books I plan to read:



Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1) by Natasha Ngan | Each year, eight beautiful girls are chosen as Paper Girls to serve the king. It's the highest honor they could hope for and the most cruel.  But this year, there's a ninth girl. And instead of paper, she's made of fire.  This premise sounds soo intriguing.  I'm also reading this for our group buddy read Coffee Break on Goodreads.

The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai | In 1985, Yale Tishman, the development director for an art gallery in Chicago, is about to pull off an amazing coup, bringing in an extraordinary collection of 1920s paintings as a gift to the gallery. Yet as his career begins to flourish, the carnage of the AIDS epidemic grows around him. One by one, his friends are dying and after his friend Nico's funeral, the virus circles closer and closer to Yale himself. Soon the only person he has left is Fiona, Nico's little sister.  I haven't read anything about the AIDS epidemic and it sounds really interesting!  

The Wartime Sisters by Lynda Cohen Loigman | Two estranged sisters, raised in Brooklyn and each burdened with her own shocking secret, are reunited at the Springfield Armory in the early days of WWII.  I've really been enjoying (well enjoying really isn't the right word) WWII books recently!


Becoming by Michelle Obama | In a life filled with meaning and accomplishment, Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African-American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world, dramatically changing the ways that families pursue healthier and more active lives, and standing with her husband as he led America through some of its most harrowing moments. Everybody has been giving such high praise of this book and I'm dying to read it!!

Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks #1) by Suzanne Young | The Girls of Innovations Academy are beautiful and well-behaved—it says so on their report cards. Under the watchful gaze of their Guardians, the all-girl boarding school offers an array of studies and activities, from “Growing a Beautiful and Prosperous Garden” to “Art Appreciation” and “Interior Design.” The girls learn to be the best society has to offer. Absent is the difficult math coursework, or the unnecessary sciences or current events. They are obedient young ladies, free from arrogance or defiance. Until Mena starts to realize that their carefully controlled existence may not be quite as it appears.  This book has one of my buzzwords, which is boarding schools, I am really intrigued of boarding schools and I like to read about them.

American Princess by Stephanie Marie Thornton | Alice may be the president's daughter, but she's nobody's darling. As bold as her signature color Alice Blue, the gum-chewing, cigarette-smoking, poker-playing First Daughter discovers that the only way for a woman to stand out in Washington is to make waves--oceans of them. With the canny sophistication of the savviest politician on the Hill, Alice uses her celebrity to her advantage, testing the limits of her power and the seductive thrill of political entanglements.  This is a historical fiction about The First Daughter of President Roosevelt and it sounds sooo interesting and I can't wait to read it!!

Are any of these books on your TBR?  Have you read any of these books?  Let me know in the comments!! 

6 comments

  1. Awesome TBR stack! I've heard such great things about Becoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me too! I can't wait to get to it to see what it's all about!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a lot of good reading ahead of you. I saw the Great Believers at the library and was intrigued. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the cover is soo pretty and it sounds really good too. I've never read anything about the AIDS epidemic.

      Delete
  3. I think you definitely have some reads that will make your April better than March - Becoming alone is AMAZING. I've also had my eye on The Great Believers - will love you hear your thoughts.

    And I hadn't heard of Girls With Sharp Sticks but it sounds fascinating. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    - Megan @ The Hungry Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've literally heard nothing but amazing things about Becoming. I can't wait to read it!! The Great Believers sounds soo good!

      Delete

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.