Monday, August 12, 2019

Monthly Wrap-Up | July 2019

I finally got out of a huge reading slump and ended up reading 9 books!  I read some really great books and I have come to the realization that I am done with YA for a while.  I just don't mesh with it anymore.  I am going back to my first love, which are thrillers and romance and I am soo glad that I did.  I love reading again and I don't feel forced to read something because everyone else is reading it or that it's popular.  I'm reading what I want to read and that's it!  =)  Anyways, here's what I read in July:

Monthly Stats




Books




With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo | This book annoyed me sooo much!! How many times can you call your daughter baby girl. It got under my skin after the 10th time. There would be times that it was said on the same page like 5 times! Anyways, I did like the cooking aspect of this book.

When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal | This is a very character based book you learn through the two perspectives about their childhood and what made them into the people they are today. I felt the book was beautifully well written and recommend if you are into family dramas and character driven books.

His Banana (Objects of Attraction #1) by Penelope Bloom | I read this book for a Boozing with the Bookaholics even with my bookclub.  At first when I read the title I was like this is going to be a super cheesy, but actually wasn't that bad.  I probably will not continue with the series.  

Mine by Courtney Cole | I heard some great things about this thriller but it ended up being just ok for me.  I felt like it was pretty predictable at times.  Although the wife and mistress were CRAZY!!  Overall, this was a decent thriller

Saga Vol 3 by Brian K. Vaughn | Really liked the continuation in this graphic novel and I can't wait to continue on in the series.

Last Summer by Kerry Lonsdale | I really liked this book it definitely kept me guessing till the very end. I would have no idea what I would do if I woke up from a tragic accident and being told I lost my baby and have no recollection of every even being pregnant! I loved all the twist and turns in this book! At the end of the book my jaw literally dropped I couldn't believe it!! 

Final Girls by Riley Sager | Can you trust just anyone?  This was a great thriller and I love how mysterious it was!  Great twists throughout the book!!  

The First Mistake by Sandie Jones |  Can you trust your own husband?  Another great thriller!!  I really like domestic thrillers!  This book let me guessing until the end!

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch | I typically don't read sci-fi but this book had great reviews and I'm soo glad I read it!  I liked the whole parallel universe I found it very intriguing and left you on the edge of your seat the whole time.  I will definitely read more from this author.

Have you read any of these books?  Any of these on your TBR?  Let me know in the comments!!

5 comments

  1. I liked Final Girls so much!!! I agree on the "who-to-trust", I did not see that ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG me either!! I can't wait to read his newest book!

      Delete
  2. I can understand burning out on a age group/genre. I used to read a lot of SFF books, but they were becoming a chore for me. I hope you read some great books this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, our taste in books change throughout our lives. I need to read more stuff that I will enjoy instead of reading something because it's super hyped.

      Delete
  3. Good riddance to the reading slump! I’m so with you on reading what you want, when you want. I read very little YA anymore - unless something specific really appeals to me. And I’ve virtually quit requesting arcs. I just want to read what I want.

    I’ve heard Mine was straight up over the top crazy. I’ll probably pass on it. :) I’m intrigued by Last Summer. Not my usual kind of read but I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.