Friday, March 3, 2017

The Bad Beginnings by Lemony Snicket

The Bad Beginnings (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1)
Lemony Snicket
Published September 30th 1999 by Scholastic, Inc
Genres:  Middle Grade, Fantasy

Summary:

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

Add to Goodreads

My Thoughts

I really liked this book, there was soo much going on in a short amount of pages. I absolutely loved the first paragraph of the book when it was talking about, if you are looking for a happy ending, don't read this book. I literally laughed out loud!!

Those poor Baudelaire kids, the worst luck ever, seriously!  Through the whole book they had bad luck, I guess that's why they named this book bad beginnings.  Anyways, let me tell you I absolutely hated Count Olaf, ugghhhh!!  What a freaking snake!!  Those poor kids, especially Violet, Count Olaf is disgusting, and just for money!!

I can't wait to continue on with the series. I hope the Baudelaire kids, find some type of good luck, but it isn't looking promising.  I definitely recommend this series!

However, I did try to watch the series on Netflix and I thought it was horrible.  I watched half of an episode and had to shut it off, I hated the narration.  I know its in the book, but that's different then watching in on TV.  If the first 5 minutes or so was like that, then no big deal, but it was throughout the whole episode.  So disappointing!!  But at the least the book series is good!!

Rating


Post a Comment

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.