Monday, January 22, 2018

Mini Reviews | Girl in Pieces, Furthermore and A List of Cages


Our main character Charlotte has had a hell of a life and she's only 17.  She has lost her father, her mother, and her best friend.  She became homeless, she lived in a sex house, her mother abused her, she stayed in a mental institution and they only thing she could turn to was self-harm.  This book tells the story of her life after she gets out of the mental institution and learns to grow as an individual.  She definitely has her bad days and she also has her good days.

I loved how you got to see how Charlotte grew as a person.  I'm glad she could find friends that would help her along the way, sometimes not the best of friends to have, but none the less they helped her through the toughest and darkest period in her life.  I felt like this book was really eye-opening about self-harm.  I definitely recommend this book!



This book definitely had Alice in Wonderland vibes.  I thought the world was really unique and interesting.   The main character Alice is very fascinating she is the only person in her village that is colorless, where as everything in her village is focused around color.  Alice and Oliver go on an adventure to find her father.  They must go into a different village completely different from hers.  The adventure they go on is a really fun ride.  Although at times, the world building was kind of confusing, because it felt like each chapter you were learning about a new rule or task.

I overall really liked this book other than the world building being a little confusing.  I also feel like this book would be really confusing for a middle grade reader.   But I did love how the book was so whimsical.  I really liked the journey you go in this book and I think that is what makes it so enjoyable.  



Where do I even begin with my thoughts on this one?!?!  This book was an emotional roller coaster and extremely powerful.  I loved Julian and Adam, Adam had a heart of gold for Julian and it was the sweetest thing in the world.  Not only Adam but also his mom because she fostered Julian for a short period then he went to live with his disgusting bastard uncle.  That man, what he did to Julian was terrible and disturbing and my heart melted every time.  I am so glad Adam was there to befriend and help Julian in the most critical point in his life.  

This book will definitely make you cry and you will love Julian and Adam unconditionally.  I love the friendship and the meaning of family in this book.  I can not recommend this book enough, please go read it!  


Have you read any of these books?  If so, what where your thoughts.  Let me know in the comments!











Post a Comment

© Kendra Loves Books. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.